March 17, 2020

Chelsea standing in front of stairs

My name is Chelsea Williams. I’m a first-year student on the BSc (Hons) Computer Games Design and Development course.

I have had an interest in games from a young age. There are many popular games that people will be aware of, such as Call of Duty and Fortnite. I have always been intrigued by the process behind creating games such as these. How someone can think of an idea for a game, how they develop that idea and go through designing it, how the final project will look when it’s all completed, and finally how the audience will see it and interact with the game. It’s one of the big reasons why I wanted to go into making games that one day people would play and enjoy.

I started out my university experience by studying the Foundation programme. The Foundation gave me the stepping stones that I could use going onto my first year of Games Design and Development. I had the chance to develop and adapt on skills I already had, as well as developing new skills that would help me through my time at University.

Chelsea sat on a chair
I have always been keen to learn about games development – Cardiff Met turned my passion into reality

Now in my first year, we are involved in a variety of projects. At the start of term after Christmas, we took part in a week-long hackathon. We had to make an application for children in primary school to help them with their maths, spelling and writing. I found this project really beneficial as we developed our coding skills and used Visual Studio to create the application, with many different forms for each page. We made it look appealing and easy for children of primary school age to use and navigate around.

A module that really stood out to me and that I took an active interest in is Games Industry Practice. One of the group-based assignments had us create a 2D puzzle game. We could choose the background story for the game, and the group I was in decided that we would make a game about a robot in a science laboratory that tries to escape destruction, as he has been found to be unsuitable and is destined to the scrap. It was an interesting project – it allowed me to learn what works well when creating games and the problems that occur in the process, both of which I can use when I create my next game.